Saturday, May 1, 2010

Finding a niche

Technology and news are what I know.

I decided to attend the University of Georgia to study newspaper journalism. I have played and worked on computers since I was in elementary school. But for the past year, I have been struggling to find a way to use both of these skills to earn a living wage in against an economy with horrible unemployment rate and a failing newspaper industry.

I think I have found it. For now at least, I'm not going to be a tech guru and I'm not going to work in general news. I'm going to be a white water raft guide on the Big Pigeon River in Tennessee.

If you're anything like me, you are probably wondering what in the world being a raft guide has to do with journalism or tech. Rather than explain, I'll show you:



I did not do this particular video. However, I can make money with others like it. We also sell pictures. I plan on using my skills in computers to make fliers, videos and ads for USA Raft. I plan on using my skills in journalism to spread awareness of the company.

Both will make me money.

The point is a degree is just a piece of paper. If all goes according to plan, I will graduate from UGA in just a few days, but a job with a newspaper near me is not immediately available. So I'm going to use my skills as raft guide as well as a tech and media guy to make money while I wait.

Jobs are out there, you just have to know your niche and use it in ways that others can't or don't know about.

Oh and if you are wondering, yes, I did advertise for USA Raft on purpose. Now that you know about USA, maybe you will come rafting with us, which will make me money.

No comments:

Post a Comment